|This photo slideshow generated with Smilebox|
What in the world is SPEEED? SPEEED with 3 E’s stands for Special Populations Enrichment, Education and Employment Department and is a registered 501 c 3 organization in North Carolina.
SPEEED is described as providing social services to empower youth ages 8-21 to thrive productive citizens by (8-11) instilling work ethics, (12-15) seeking enrichment and volunteer experience, (16-18) gaining employability skills, nurture creativity and finding their job/business niche, (19-21) becoming entrepreneurs. The purpose of the organization is to provide life skills, educational, and social/charitable services to at-risk youth; also, to provide services to those in need of academic support. Education is the central point of the organization as future young leaders and entrepreneurs need impeccable academic and literacy skills. Our motto “Full Throttle Toward YOUR Destiny”.
Mission: To pick up the pace in mobilizing and motivating youth ages 8-21 to become entrepreneurs through Enrichment, Education and Employment opportunities. By special populations we mean individuals ages 8-21 who are underserved, disadvantaged, disabled, adjudicated or displaced in any area of life.
Vision: To equip, cultivate, inspire and empower youth to become successful leaders and entrepreneurs in all facets of the workforce.
What do we really do? The Highlights
S pecial attention is shown to
P opulations with emphasis on
E nrichment for ongoing projects like
• 2011- 51 youth planted, nurtured and harvested two Community Garden mentored by Volunteers from churches and organizations as well experienced farmers and gardeners. More than 162 families gained access to fresh vegetables through this program coupled with the Summer Foods Program which provided snack and supper daily during the summer months. Partnering with the Roxboro Housing Authority at Harris Gardens yielded even more produce for youth and family accessibility and increasing the opportunities for youth experience.
• 2011-Partnered with Backpack pals to help bring healthy meals to underprivileged youth on weekends, and during school breaks and summer vacations
• 2012- Add Neighborhood gardens at Brookwood and Weatherly Heights
Leadership and Volunteer Community Service
• 2011-Spearheaded the National Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week activities; Turned a Bus into an Angel for Christmas Parade(Great Craft Project); Served Thanksgiving Community Dinner; Community Service on Veteran’s Day.
• 2010-Offered youth incentives for gardening and good grades with tickets to Orange County Speedway and a comedy show.
• 2011- Incentives will be offered for good work ethics such as home chores.
• 2012-Gaming Station and Trips added as an incentive for Leadership and Entrepreneurship participation while introducing literacy and entrepreneurial activities.
E ducation for structured learning in
• 2010-Held multiple Young Entrepreneurs Conferences (YEC) and Symposiums.
• 2011 -Facilitate academic literacy for youth on the entrepreneurial track.
• 2012/13-Hold YEC and Symposiums to double the number of youth served with the addition of the Character Crunk™ series
E mployment opportunities are created where
• 2010-Youth gained employability skills, experience and knowledge to compete in the job market.
• 2010-Trained Volunteers in capacity building and enhanced their skill set to secure jobs for unemployed Volunteers.
• 2011-Opened the Virtual Conference and Training Center (201 North Main Street).
• 2012-Young Entrepreneurs on the move with mobile business venues.
• 2013-Youth will have an opportunity to work toward entrepreneurial goals and objectives such as Virtual Volunteers, Professional Notetakers and Communication/Design Specialist.
- 2013-Open the SPEEED Café allowing youth the opportunity to develop work ethics and employability skills
D epartment which promotes interest in Entrepreneurship!
In 2010, 19 youth created team business plans and marketing strategies for the 2010 Ybiz initiative that propelled forward the following youth led businesses: Golden Boot, Farm Fresh Xpress, Transformers Carwash, and the SPEEED Cafe.